Bye Bye Bleach, Hello UniTab!
The smell of bleach is often associated with cleanliness. For this reason, many people have opted to use it in their facilities for multiple purposes without knowing the risks. There are many reasons why bleach is not the best option. As such, Dustbane has introduced a safer bleach alternative with all the disinfecting advantages and then some. Keep reading for a more in-depth comparison between bleach and UniTab.
The dangers of cleaning with bleach:
- Heavy toxic fumes can be inhaled
- Eye and skin irritation upon contact
- Mixing with other household cleaners or warm water can release toxic gas
- Surface damage and discoloration can occur almost immediately
- Unsafe for children and pets who may come in direct contact with the surfaces
- Increased daily exposure can lead to long-term effects on health
- Bleach is not classified as a cleaning agent, but rather a disinfectant
What Is UniTab?
UniTab is a single dose disinfectant and sanitizing tablet that delivers an accurate strength solution every time by simply dissolving it in water.
What’s the Difference?
While UniTab and bleach have both very similar characteristics and disinfection properties, their solutions are not the same.
Once mixed with water, UniTab retains its killing power due to a 50/50 chemical equilibrium that continues to generate chlorine that replaces what is being used in the process of destroying microorganisms or coming into contact with organic loads. This means that it does not become inactive by dirt, cloths, organic matter as occurs with bleach. Bleach, on the other hand, releases all of its chlorine content as free available chlorine all at once. So once it is consumed, there is no replenishment. This explains the longer shelf life benefit of UniTab.
At a Glace: Bleach vs. UniTab
|pH in Solution||10 - 13||5.5 - 6.5|
|Packaging||Liquid in jug||1 bottle of 120 tablets|
|Convenience||Must be measured and poured carefully
||Single dose tablet|
|Stability||Degrades over time (may lose 20%
of its activity in 6 months after opening),
and will be basically ineffective after 1 year
||Stable. Prepared at point-of-use when needed|
|Active Ingredient||Sodium hypochlorite||Troclosene sodium
|Shelf Life||6 - 12 months for concentrate
1 day for mixed solutions
|3 years for tablets
7 days for mixed solutions (in closed containers)
|Odour||Strong chlorine smell||Slight chlorine smell|
|Contact Time||Bleach works best when it sits on a surface for 10-15 minutes||Eliminates C. Difficile spores in 4 minutes.
10 minutes for all other disinfection
|Corrosion Potential||High||Very low
|Hazard Level: Eye||High (Severe irritant or may cause damage)||Low irritant
|Hazard Level: Skin||High (Severe irritant or may cause damage)||Low irritant
|Hazard Level: Inhalation||High (Severe irritant or may cause damage)||Irritant
|TDG Classification||Corrosive, Class 8
||Not classified as hazardeous under
The UniTab Advantage
There are many benefits to using UniTab, here are a few of them:
- Safe for all surfaces and users
- Provides effective sanitizing, deodorizing and disinfection in areas where controlling cross-contamination hazards are of the highest concern
- Easier transportation and reduced storage space
- Neutral pH solution (5.5 - 6) will not irritate or burn skin, and does not damage finishes or equipment
- Reduced risk of injury by preventing direct contact with liquid bleach
- Simple to use for preparing a fresh solution when needed. Simply dissolve the required number of tablets in the correct amount of water.
- Versatile – different dilution rates for different disinfection needs
- Exact dosage tablet delivers an accurate strength solution every time
- Ready to use – no dispensing equipment required
- Will not stain clothing like bleach
- Eliminates the risk of concentrated bleach spills
- Cost-savings in multiple ways: storage, shipping, handling, waste reduction
- Ease of training and use, no need to measure and pour liquid bleach
- Longer shelf life than bleach before and after dilution
- Continues working in the presence of organic load (i.e. blood and dirt)
- No harsh chemical smell making it less irritating to workers, staff, visitors, room occupants
UniTab can be used anywhere bleach is used. This includes hospitals, nursing homes, medical and dental facilities, operating rooms, isolation wards, medical research facilities, veterinary clinics, food processing facilities, dining establishments, and many more.
When used according to the label, UniTab is proven to be effective against:
- Staphylococcus aureus (Staph infections)
- Salmonella enterica
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Cold and flu (respiratory synctial virus, influenza H1N1)
- Bloodborne pathogens (HIV-1, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B)
- C. difficile spores